A four-year-old Oregon girl has died from complications of an E.coli infection she contracted Labor Day weekend. Serena Profitt was surrounded by her family and friends when she was removed from life support at Doernbecher Children’s Hospital around 9:30 p.m. last night.
“She’s the most vibrant young girl ever; she’s just sweet loving and so amazing, so smart, just a heart that is of gold,” said aunt Aleahsa Hargitt.
The golden-haired 4-year-old got sick after a day of fun with her family in Lincoln City. Her family said she became so ill, they took her to a McMinnville hospital where she went into kidney failure.
She was later rushed to Doernbecher Children’s Hospital, where the family said doctors diagnosed her with E. coli.
“She was great Sunday morning, and then by 4’oclock, she had a stroke,” said Hargitt.
On Tuesday, Oregon Health & Science University confirmed the girl had tested positive for E. coli.
“Serena Profitt died Monday evening from complications of hemolytic uremic syndrome. Most cases of HUS occur following an infection caused by specific strains of E. coli. Serena tested positive for E. coli, but we don’t yet know which strain. A sample of has been sent to the state lab for further testing,” a hospital statement said.
The girl’s family said her condition advanced to her brain and caused her other organs to shut down.
“I can’t imagine how in eight days I lose my precious baby and too fast,” said grandmother Sherri Profitt. “Hold on to your babies, hold on to them.”
Serena’s family said another young boy on the trip to Lincoln City over the Labor Day weekend is also sick and currently receiving treatment at a Tacoma hospital.
Five-year-old Brad Sutton’s family told Fox 12 he suffered kidney failure related to hemolytic uremic syndrome.
“His levels were stable when they started the dialysis this morning,” said Brad’s mom Elizabeth Sutton on Tuesday. “They’re just going to continue to watch him on dialysis.”
Lincoln County Health and Human Services is investigating the source of the E. coli. As of Tuesday night, that source had not been confirmed.
“I just want people to know that E. coli is something you can’t even imagine how bad it is, how fast-acting it is. You think one minute your baby is OK, and in the blink of an eye, it can be so wrong,” said Hargitt. “Take your kids in, make sure the tests are done and they are really done right.”