Thursday , 18 April 2024
Home » World » Maine Girl’s iPhone catches fire
Maine Girl’s iPhone catches fire
Maine Girl's iPhone catches fire

Maine Girl’s iPhone catches fire

The “stop, drop and roll” mantra came in handy for a US student when her Apple iPhone 5C caught fire in her pocket at school.

Kennebunk middle school principal Jeff Rodman told The Portland Press Herald that the girl heard a popping sound and smoke started billowing around her.

“Immediately, smoke starts billowing from around the student,” Jeff Rodman, the middle school principal, told the Sentinel. Fortunately, the girl remembered to “stop, drop and roll”, which helped to reduce the injuries she suffered. When the iPhone 5c fell out of her pocket, “it was still smoldering. Her pants were still on fire,” Rodman said. The iPhone 5c, which was green is now black and no longer functional.

While instances iPhones exploding are extremely rare, it’s likely very distressing when it happens. When these fires occur, the batteries are usually to blame. Previous instances of iPhones or other cellphones exploding took place while the phones were plugged in and charging, often with third-party chargers. So it was most unusual for the iPhone 5c to catch alight in the girl’s pocket.

USA Today noted that one fire official speculated that the iPhone 5c’s battery “shorted out” when the girl sat down. “People should obviously use caution when placing their phones in their back pockets so as not to crush them and cause and electrical short,” one official told the Seacoast Online. Though it’s highly unlikely that your iPhone will catch fire in your back pocket, it’s better to err on the side of caution now that stories of iPhones and other smartphones exploding seem to be on the rise.

Agencies/Canadajournal




  • About News

    Web articles – via partners/network co-ordinators. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of ANGA Media Corporation . We appreciate your feedback and respond to every request. Please fill in the form or send us email to: [email protected]

    Leave a Reply