Wednesday , 21 February 2024
Home » Canada » Carbon monoxide leak sends 72 children to hospital in Quebec, Report
Carbon monoxide leak sends 72 children to hospital in Quebec, Report
Carbon monoxide leak sends 72 children to hospital in Quebec, Report

Carbon monoxide leak sends 72 children to hospital in Quebec, Report

According to CTV, roughly Seventy-two students and their teachers were taken to the hospital as a precaution after the carbon monoxide was detected. According to government officials, roughly 5 students experienced symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, including headaches and vomiting, which resulted in the evacuation.

CBC News reports fire officials have confirmed there were no carbon monoxide detectors in the building. A nearby hospital was told to clear its emergency room, CTV reports.

Mark Day of 1310 News reports at least two children have been overcome by carbon monoxide. The 72 children and 10 adults at the school were taken to the hospital as a precaution.

“Carbon monoxide is a gas you can’t see or smell,” public-health official Marie-Claude Lacombe said at an afternoon news conference. “So it was a good hunch by ambulance workers to think of carbon monoxide when they arrived on site and saw the children’s discomfort.”

Alain Turcotte, director of professional services at the hospital, said exposure to the gas was low so none of the children was expected to suffer ill effects.

Officials said they suspect a floor-polishing machine powered by propane, used for cleaning the daycare on Monday night, was behind the leak. Dr. Turcotte said that if improperly burned, propane can free up carbon monoxide.

Agencies/Canadajournal




  • About News

    Web articles – via partners/network co-ordinators. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of ANGA Media Corporation . We appreciate your feedback and respond to every request. Please fill in the form or send us email to: [email protected]

    Leave a Reply