Mount Hood climber dies in 500 to 700 foot fall, Report
Mount Hood climber dies in 500 to 700 foot fall, Report

Mount Hood climber dies in 500 to 700 foot fall, Report

A 57-year-old priest from New Jersey fell to his death on the northeast side of Mount Hood Tuesday morning, authorities said.

The climber was identified as Robert J. Cormier, a Catholic priest from Jersey City, N.J.

Another climber who witnessed the fall, which happened at about 8 a.m., said Cormier was on the summit and looked north, when he fell through a cornice (an overhang of snow) to his death.

“It was a true shock as we learned today about his passing, and we’re certainly very concerned about his family, concerned about his parish, and all the people who’ve been part of his life,” said Jim Goodness, spokesman for the Archdiocese of Newark, and a friend of Father Comier for the past 15-years.

He was ordained in as a Catholic priest in 1982, and was named “administrator” of Saint Patricks and Ascention in Jersey City,

“He has been very active in Hispanic ministry, and outreach to community, a truly dedicated man,” Goodness said.
Father Cormier was also an author of a book and other readings on faith and religion. He was also the spiritual director of the Internet-based radio station “Radio InMaculada.” And, he was fluent in five languages.

“He spoke Spanish, Portugese, French, Italian, as well as English,” Goodness.

Father Cormier was also an adventurer. He also wrote about his trip to Mount Hood on his Facebook page over the weekend. It was his last post.

“With today’s message I am pleased to announce to you that on Monday I am leaving on what will likely be my last attempt to climb a big mountain,” he wrote. “In this case it is Mount Hood in Oregon. We have been at this kind of thing for 40 years and are very much hoping to finish with a victory. I will report to you next Saturday.”

“He was someone who enjoyed and treasured the beauty of the world, and all of its shapes and colors,” said Goodness.

Father Cormier’s biography says in addition to being a priest, he was also a pilot, a mountain climber, a sailor, a cave explorer, a scuba driver and a bus driver.

Thousands of people climb the 11,240-foot peak each year. Spring is the prime season because the weather is better but not so warm that the ice melts and rocks fall more readily. The peak is notorious for loose rock in warm weather.

Crews won’t attempt to reetrieve Father Comier’s body from the mountain until sometime next week. The forecast is calling for a snap of hot weather that will make conditions unsafe for them.

Goodness said once Father Comier’s body is off the mountain, the Archdiocese of Newark with work with his family on funeral arrangements. He is survived by his mother and a sister.

When asked what people in Oregon can do for the diocese and Father Cominer’s family during this time, Goodness said, “I think prayer, and just recognizing this was a very special man.”


  • About News

    Web articles – via partners/network co-ordinators. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of ANGA Media Corporation . We appreciate your feedback and respond to every request. Please fill in the form or send us email to: [email protected]

    Check Also

    Brian Laundrie news: 'We're not wasting our time,' police commander says

    Brian Laundrie news: ‘We’re not wasting our time,’ police commander says

    VENICE, Fla. – Six days into the search for Brian Laundrie, police in North Port …

    Leave a Reply