A northern Ohio coroner says a high school senior found dead a week before graduation died from a caffeine overdose.
An autopsy found that Logan Stiner had a lethal amount of caffeine in his system when he died at home on May 27.
The coroner says a white powder was found beside his body.
It turned out to be a potent brand of powdered caffeine.
Officials say it’s unclear how much Stiner ingested, but that it was enough to cause seizures and an abnormal heartbeat.
Deaths due to caffeine use are considered rare.
His mother did not realize her son was using caffeine powder but knew he took a “pre-workout” supplement.
Powdered caffeine is not sold in stores but is easy to buy over the internet.