CBC star Jian Ghomeshi has been fired over “information” the public broadcaster recently received that it says “precludes” it from continuing to employ the 47-year-old host of the popular Q radio show.
In a statement, the CBC said the network made the break after “serious deliberation and careful consideration.” A network spokesman said he could not discuss the circumstances of Ghomeshi’s departure.
“Information came to our attention recently that in CBC’s judgment precludes us from continuing our relationship with Jian,” spokesman Chuck Thompson told CBC News.
But on his Facebook page, Ghomeshi lashed out at the company, saying he was fired over false accusations made by an ex-lover.
“I’ve been fired from the CBC because of the risk of my private sex life being made public as a result of a campaign of false allegations pursued by a jilted ex girlfriend and a freelance writer,” he wrote, adding that the former girlfriend had begun reaching out to friends and colleagues alleging that their relationship had been abusive.
It came to light that a woman had begun anonymously reaching out to people that I had dated (via Facebook) to tell them she had been a victim of abusive relations with me. In other words, someone was reframing what had been an ongoing consensual relationship as something nefarious.
Ghomeshi said he brought his concerns to the CBC on Thursday, along with evidence he said shows his relationship had been consensual. Ultimately, he says, he was told the CBC vetted his claims and said they were satisfied the allegations were false,
But then they said that this type of sexual behavior was unbecoming of a prominent host on the CBC. They said that I was being dismissed for “the risk of the perception that may come from a story that could come out.”
The 47-year-old Ghomeshi says he will sue the CBC over his dismissal. CBC News reports a law firm says it has already been instructed to file suit:
Dentons Canada LLP, a law firm in Toronto, released a statement saying that Ghomeshi has instructed them to file a $50-million lawsuit against the CBC on Monday that “will claim general and punitive damages for among other things, breach of confidence and bad faith.”
It added that he will also “commence a grievance for reinstatement under the CBC’s collective agreement.”
Ghomeshi has been with ‘Q’ since its inception in 2007. According to its website, it is the highest rated cultural affairs show in Canada and is heard on over 180 NPR and PRI stations the U.S.
Q’s Executive Producer Arif Noorani told KPCC the program will continue to air the show with guest hosts until they can find a permanent solution.