A grieving Arizona mother is claiming that energy drinks were a major factor in the shocking death of her 16-year-old daughter.
Lanna Hamann was on vacation in Rocky Point, Mexico when her mother, Kris Hamann, received a call saying her daughter had died from a heart attack, according to KPHO-TV. Lanna was travelling with friends, who told Kris that the teen had been drinking energy drinks all day, rather than keeping hydrated with water.
“Obviously, this is something that could have happened anywhere, whether she was in Mexico or whether she was here in Arizona playing softball,” says Kris Hamann. But parents should make sure their kids are “drinking water instead of an energy drink,” she says.
Supporters are raising money through this GoFundMe page to help defray the costs of bringing the teen’s body back to the US, notes ABC News. High levels of caffeine and sugar in energy drinks have raised health concerns about them, though no official determination has been made in this case. (In October, another family filed a lawsuit against Red Bull claiming the drink killed a healthy 33-year-old man.)