Hamilton Mayor Fred Eisenberger says he won’t attend any appearances by Bill Cosby, including a show set for Jan. 9 in the Ontario city, amid sex assault allegations against the American comedian.
“Personally, I would not attend any of Mr. Cosby’s performances and believe that the people in this community are well equipped to make their own judgments and decide whether or not to attend this upcoming event.”
Cosby – who faces sexual assault allegations from at least 15 women – is scheduled to perform Jan. 7 in Kitchener, Jan. 8 in London and Jan 9 in Hamilton.
Last week, film director Judd Apatow took to Twitter to shame Ontario theatres for not cancelling Cosby in the face of allegations.
None of the allegations against Cosby have been tested in court.
Anne Bokma, a Hamilton freelance writer and editor, is organizing a ticketholders’ protest for inside the city-owned theatre at the Jan. 9 event. Bokma says she and several friends have purchased tickets and intend to show Cosby they want him to stop performing.
Earlier this month, Cosby agreed to offer refunds for two sold-out New York shows after patrons of Tarrytown Music Hall pressed the venue to offer refunds in light of the assault allegations – charges the comedian has consistently disputed.
Casinos in Las Vegas and Arizona have also cancelled Cosby performance dates, and several others – including the University of Massachusetts at Amherst – have cut ties with Cosby.