Canada plans to launch airstrikes against ISIS in Iraq following a U.S. request, a senior government official said. Prime Minister Stephen Harper was set to announce details later Friday.
“This group has made direct terrorist threats against Canada and Canadians, in addition to carrying out atrocities against children, women, and men in the region,” MacDonald said in the statement. “As the Prime Minister has said before, when we recognize a threat like this that must be addressed, and that involves Canadian interests, we do our part.”
It’s believed that Harper will send fighter jets to join U.S.-led airstrikes against ISIS.
Parliamentary approval isn’t necessary to send soldiers into combat or to participate in airstrikes, but Harper indicated the matter will be subject to both a debate and a vote. MacDonald says both the debate and vote are expected on Monday.
Harper will make the case for sending CF-18s, along with CC-150 refueling jets.
Harper said in the Commons this week the ISIS Islamic militants represent a direct threat not only to the Middle East, but to Canada as well.
Harper previously authorized the deployment of 69 Special Forces soldiers for a 30-day mission to Iraq which is due to end Saturday. On Wednesday Harper revealed only 26 Canadian soldiers are currently on the ground.